Tuesday, November 25, 2008

How many people do you need to save a squirrel?

The answer is: 2.
With these kind of questions you expect a dumb or weird response but in this case the answer is just, two.
Sunday morning I was home in the kitchen making myself some breakfast and filling a really big cup with green tea–with a little bit of soy milk, mmm...–and suddenly I hear this weird squeaking sound. Outside my house live a few birds who make almost the same sound.
My mother asked what the noise was and I said that it may be the birds outside. I kept cooking and drinking tea but I kept hearing the same sound and seconds after I heard a huge "squeeeeeeaaaak", that's when I knew it was serious. I stepped outside and there they were.
I have a cat... a huge cat. It doesn't even look like a cat, it looks like a freaking panther.
Sylvester(the cat)caught a poor squirrel–outside my house there's also a squirrel commune, as I like to call it–and he was holding it with his mouth. Smelly(the squirrel)was making those noises and I can't believe I ignored them for about 5 minutes.
As soon as I saw both animals I decided to tell Sylvester to let the squirrel go and tried to grab him but instead he entered through the main door, squirrel in mouth and headed upstairs to my brother's room.
The whole way I screamed: "let it go!!"
Yeah right, as if my cat would ever listen to me.
The good thing is that when he entered my brother's room he let the squirrel go. However, the very intelligent little animal decided to hide behind a big furniture.
My very hysterical mother said that I should let Sylvester catch her so that she wouldn't bite me and give me rabies. I didn't even answer, the mere suggestion was stupid and I wouldn't do it.
My brother gave me a pair of gloves to cover my hands and I tried to catch her but she was too far back.
I spent about ten minutes trying to grab her. Neither my brother nor my mother helped me and then comes my dad...
I don't want to make this too long but we spent another fifteen minutes there and I finally grabbed her with my pair of gloves on and an extra blanket to cover her face so that she wouldn't freak out even more.
What impressed me the most is that while trying to get her, not once did she try to bite me. I can only remember her dark, scared eyes looking at me.
I went downstairs to the living room, to the door and headed to the backyard --where I'm sure a bunch other squirrels were planning the rescue of a fellow commune-habitant and released the little rodent.
I felt so happy and helpful. I had never saved a squirrel. Well, I can't take all the credit, my dad was very very helpful.
That's the story. Smelly is now safe and well, ha.

xoxo
Cuca
p.s. I have no idea if the squirrel was a "she" but as I typed, "she" came out instead of "he."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ándale, Ándale!