Friday, November 14, 2008

The issue with Proposition 8

I wonder why I care so much about everything that's been going on with the approval of Proposition 8. Especially since I live in Mexico and I'm not an American Citizen. (In case you're reading this and turns out that you have no idea what Prop 8 is because you've been locked up in a dungeon for the past two months or so, Proposition 8–and I quote–"ELIMINATES RIGHT OF SAME-SEX COUPLES TO MARRY. INITIATIVE CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT. Changes California Constitution to eliminate right of same-sex couples to marry. Provides that only a marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California.") Besides the fact that all that's stated in that proposition is false(i.e. "Fiction: Prop 8 doesn’t discriminate against gay people. Fact: Prop 8 is simple: it eliminates the rights for same-sex couples to marry. Prop 8 would deny equal protections and write discrimination against one group of people—lesbian and gay people—into our state constitution."), it's violating people's rights. Rights that they should have just by being born in the US.
When it was time to vote for the new President of the United States of America, in the ballot there was an option to vote YES for Proposition 8(eliminate the right) or NO for Proposition 8(support gay marriage). The fact that proposition 8 was approved by more than half of the American Citizens makes me sick. It's so hypocritical and contradictory.
When I first heard about Proposition 8 I was in San Diego, California, attending the San Diego Street Scene Festival. Outside the venue there were some of the NO ON PROP 8 campaign. My three friends and I walked past one of them and he told us about this proposition --by the way, a proposition supported mostly by the clerical institutions; Catholics, Christians, Mormons(more than $22 million dollars raised and wasted.) -- and asked us to sign a petition supporting the NO On Prop 8 campaign. Even though two of my friends and I couldn't sign because we're not American Citizens, my other friend is, so she signed. We donated money and the guy gave us a sticker, which I still have and keep proudly. He invited us to a rally the next day but we had to come back to Mexico, so we could not attend. We would have loved to.
This issue is not about being gay or not, it's not even about politics, it's about suppressing civil rights that everyone is entitled to, it's about lying to people(a lot of persons who voted YES were misguided by their priests or bishops) and washing their brains so that they would be held responsible for not respecting the "minority's" rights. It's an aberration to still have this type of proposition. It's unbelievable that a Country that claims to be the Country of freedom, of opportunity, of people votes YES for something like this.
I have to go now but I wanted to speak my mind about this issue.
If you want more information go to: No On Prop 8 Site
Thanks for reading.

xoxo
Cuca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ándale, Ándale!